Sunday, October 29

On the 3rd day,
it rose again
from the dead.

This is a tale of a resurrection of a body, somebody. And I know it’s true because I happen to know the person to whom it happened. It happens to be me. The body happens to be mine. I needed to be renewed. Something was very wrong with my body and it was public knowledge.

For 15 years until 3 days ago, if I spoke, what would come forth out of my mouth was a rain of saliva. And a gust of wind. Ask those who have talked to me face to face and they would offer their testimony.

For 15 years until 3 days ago, if I whistled, it was more a rush of air than sound. It was more a rash attempt than a rush of admiration of a beautiful young girl passing by. When I was young I loved to whistle. I know I could blow out a loud, meaningful, delightful whistle.

For the last 15 years until 3 days ago, when I smiled, the sun didn’t come shining through the gathering dark clouds. It was just clouds with a little silver lining, acceptable, but not inspiring. My smile didn’t seem sincere. All because I was trying to hide something behind that smile.

For the last 15 years until 3 days ago, I have had to grow and maintain a beard and a moustache. It’s not a dashing moustache, but it has had to do; it’s not an admirable beard, but it’s all I’ve got. I have had need of both of them to distract you from the fact of my discomfort for having an imperfect body.

And then, 3 days ago, it happened: The resurrection of the body. My body. In the area of the biggest hole in my face. My mouth. Specifically my upper jaw and my lower jaw. Overnight, they grew a beautiful pair of dentures!

Actually, I went to the dentist a week ago and ordered a good pair of dentures. The dentist took almost a week to work on them. Actually it took him only 2 days to fit those new dentures with these old gums, but I thought it was taking him forever. He was the one who

And so, 3 days ago, I could talk again without saliva coming forth out of the mouth of the aged. I’m 66 years old. I could smile again.

And so, 2 days ago, that is, yesterday, I could bite into my food again, hugely.

And today, I realized that I could whistle again! My whistle was dead, and now it had come back to life. The wind from my mouth burst forth and rose to the level of a great achievement.

I feel like a new man. Mine is a resurrected body. Resurrection means the act of bringing back to practice, notice or use; revival (American Heritage Dictionary). Image by FrankieT who titles it 'A new life is coming' (flickr.com/). The new springing out of or replacing the old, that is a resurrection. You don’t know how that feels. I have a new bite, a new whistle, a new voice – a new confidence. All that for the equivalent of a hundred dollars. Which all goes to show that a little goes a long, long way.

28 July 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home